How can I repair an e-bike without breaking my back in an attempt?
The rise of e-bikes has meant that many workshops need trestles or special supports which can lift heavy bicycles to help in repair. But not only do these bikes need strong repair stands but shared-use or public-service bikes are also heavy, and with the help of these heavy-duty stands, the work is not so hard.
In this article, we are going to talk about:
- Advantages of the heavy duty stands or electric lifts for e-bikes, cargo-bikes and heavy bicycles.
- Types of stands to lift e-bikes or heavy bicycles.
- Functions and characteristics of the best heavy-duty bike stands.
Advantages of the heavy duty stands or electric lifts for e-bikes, cargo-bikes and heavy bicycles.
Apart from its most obvious advantage, automatic elevation, other characteristics make these heavy-duty stands different.
- These e-bike stands have a clamp that can hold the bike from different parts of it. But keep in mind. Not all clamps are designed to hold carbon-frame bikes.
- Maximum and minimum height. In general, e-bike stands have a long travel range, which allows rising the bike to higher heights than conventional stands and lowering the bike to more comfortable positions.
- Stability. There are still workshops that use hooks attached to the ceiling as a work tool. Although it is cheap and does not take up to much space, its stability does not help with the precision work such as adjusting gears.
- 360 Mobility. Having more weight or being attached to the ground, these heavy-duty stands allow rotating the bicycle 360º. Thus, you can repair it differently. For example, the electrical parts of e-bikes are much more accessible.
In short, electric heavy-duty supports allow handling heavy bicycles and e-bikes more comfortably and lightly.
What types of heavy-duty stands for e-bikes, heavy bikes or cargo-bikes are on the market?
Currently, there are not many models of electric supports for e-bikes on the market (no more than 10). These lifts use electric motors, pneumatic systems or gas clamps. At this point, the time and technology invested in the design of these heavy-duty stands are valuable. Not all the ground anchored supports lift more than 60kg, and neither all the mobile supports give the versatility you might need.
We will mainly classify them into:
- Mobile or fixed.
- Elevation systems.
En el artículo “In the article “5 essential characteristics in bicycle workshop stands” we explain the main bike stand requirements.
It is the most widespread system among bicycle lifts, however, each repair bike model has a different type of motor and displacement system.
This system uses pressurized air; therefore, it does not depend solely on the electrical connection as it requires a compressor attached to the lift. .
Gas clamp system
An economic system without additional cost. Perfect for those who don’t have a power outlet or battery nearby. A drawback, depending on the weight of the bicycle, you have to exert manual force.
Heavy-duty repair supports for e-bikes, mobile or fixed.
Move the repair stand to the bike and not the bike to the stand.
Some bicycles, such as cargo bikes, might be difficult to handle. In these cases, placing the clamp at the correct point and tying them to the elevator is complicated. With a mobile bike stand you solve this problem. Bring the support closer, place the clamp at the necessary height and angle and tie easily the bike.
You can move the stand with the e-bike across a flat surface, work close to a table or make room for another activity. It is important to review the characteristics of the heavy-duty bike stands before purchasing them because some models do not lift more than 25 KG if they are not attached to the ground.
Functions and characteristics of the best heavy-duty bike stands.
Some mechanics might think that these bike supports are not worth the money and are expensive hulks in the middle of the workshop. As with everything, not all these heavy-duty e-bike stands are equal. We describe some of the functionalities and characteristics that make some of these stands, like Ezoord´s, better than others.
- Mobility. Some mobile supports can lift 100 kg, move, store, etc.
- Compact size.
- Minimum and maximum height. Some supports do not reach enough height, nor can they be lowered to a proper height to attach a cargo e-bike without lifting it.
- 360 Mobility. Turning the bike and placing it upside down is perfect for replacing the electrical parts.
- Automatic security systems. A button is not a security system. When a chain catches parts of your body with your hands not free will be difficult to stop the engine. An anti-entrapment safety system, like the one offered by the Ezoord stand, stops the lift in the event of finding any obstacle or change in pressure.
- Pedals. Most likely, when we work with the bike stand our hands are full. Adjusting the height with the feet is a handy functionality.
- Maintenance free.
- Callipers with quality rubbers.
Those products that, although they require a higher initial investment, are quickly amortized over time and offer a longer useful life. n. Within this article, we hope we have solved some of the key points for choosing heavy-duty bike stand for e-bikes, cargo bikes or other heavy bikes..